BRIDGE CAM ==> Check out live images via satellite from the
Emerald Princess, updated every 2 minutes!

Note: The photos in the posts below are mine. Every day when I get back from touring, I'm choosing the best ones to share. Having my laptop on this trip is a wonderful thing!

Saturday, September 6, 2008

To Athens or not to Athens – that is the question….

When my alarm clock went off at 7:45am this morning, the thought of getting up, getting on a tour bus with 40+ people, sitting in Athens morning rush hour traffic for an hour and then walking around the city and climbing up to the Acropolis in 95 degree heat didn’t seemed very appealing. So I turned off the alarm clock and went back to sleep.

Fast forward to 12 noon.

I got up, ordered room service for lunch and got dressed. By this time it was nearly 1:30pm. To Athens or not to Athens, I pondered… then, accepting that I simply could not BE in Athens and not get off the ship, I disembarked, walked about 30 minutes to the closest Metro stop (I remembered where it was from the last time I was here) and took the Metro to the Plaka – a 19th century shopping district at the foot of the Acropolis with winding cobblestone streets and hundreds of shops and cafes. I wandered around the Plaka for a couple of hours window shopping and taking photos of the Acropolis up on the top of the hill – no, I did not climb up there. Been there, done that. Wasn’t going to do it again today in 95 degree heat! Then I made my way back to the Metro and back to Piraeus, the port city where the ship was docked, just in time for sail away at 5:30pm.

Believe it or not, a few hours this afternoon really was enough – for a repeat visit. Of course there is a ton of history to see in this city, and if you are visiting for the first time you will spend long day(s) seeing all there is to see. But not in the summer – if you have any sense (clearly, I don’t)! To say the heat is oppressive would be an understatement. Let’s put it this way, I look like an Italian again – I haven’t been this dark in years! There has been no rain on this trip – in fact, I don’t recall ever even seeing a cloud – just direct blazing sun, all day, everyday.

Before arriving in Venice on Monday, we have another restful day at sea tomorrow. Lots to do on board! I’m looking forward to a culinary demonstration by the chefs and a tour of the galley, the art auction, bingo (yes, BINGO – there’s a $2,200 jackpot game tomorrow!) and the last Formal Night of the cruise. Of course I’ll also work in a nap, staring out at the water as we sail back towards Italy, room service and a dip in the Jacuzzi as well!

Sadly, only a few short days of heaven left…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you need a restful day at sea after all that heat. It's not that hot in Fl. Glad you are having a wonderful time.
The pictures are beautiful.
Have really enjoyed the blog.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Gina,

I just got your email today. I must have missed the first one, but I look forward to catching up on your blog.

Brianna said...

Hey!! Nice blog and pics. Hope you have a nice day @ sea tomorrow.

Love, Brianna